Re: Fire and Ice vs Loyalist

  • Subject: Re: Fire and Ice vs Loyalist
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 08:41:16 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/01 18:30:55 Eastern Daylight Time,
JmaHosta@WinterberryFarms.com writes:

<< All three Patriot sports appeared independently, at about
 the same time, from TC.  Flash of Light looks a lot like Fire and Ice (the
 little twist in the leaves), but grows like Loyalist (fast). >>
Good morning, All:

I do not agree with Jim's thoughts about "renaming" some the sports (some or
all) raises an issue that resurfaces from the sports of 'Sum and Substance'
or the sports of 'Francis Williams.'

In this case, there are the sports of 'Loyalist' that look the same.  But
have different growth habits, it doesn't make logical sense nor scientific
sense to rename the hosta.  The growers should take the responsible to
identify what they have purchased; so that, they don't confuse or
misrepresent themselves or the hosta they are claiming to be selling to the

Wasn't there an agreement (?) that when hosta sports; they look identical;
they're from two different gardens or from the same or different TC lab, then
the sports are different?

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA

The science is above my present knowledge.  So, we should hear comments from
Jim Hawes, Dan Nelson & Preston Littleton (hostasports), and Ben Z.