RE: Fire and Ice vs Loyalist

  • Subject: RE: Fire and Ice vs Loyalist
  • From: "James M. Anderson" <JmaHosta@WinterberryFarms.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:16:44 -0400

I fear that trying to pin down origins of sports could proved difficult
under the best of circumstances.  The problem, I think, lies in the inherent
genetic instability of Hosta varieties in general.  I have been collecting
sports of H. June.  At present we have three that are all sold as the
putative June (I am not including the truly distinctive sports of June).
Type 1 has a clear gold center with a thin blue edge, type 2 is similar to
one, but has a blue haze over the whole leaf.  Type 3 has a clear gold
center with a wide blue edge.  I have been told that there are others that I
have not seen.   The question arises as to which is the 'real' June and what
do we do with the others.  With the numbers of plants produced in TC the
variety has clearly drifted. I like the type 3 the best, but would I
responsible in replacing the type 1 we now grow with type 3?

Take H. Striptease and Gypsy Rose, both came off the original plant but are
clearly different varieties.

Jim Anderson