Pure tetraploid salmon.

  • Subject: Pure tetraploid salmon.
  • From: Alex Waterhouse-Hayward <alexwh@wimsey.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:56:55 -0400

 10:23 PM 7/2/01 -0400, Bill Nash wrote:
Hi Ben ..you wrote "Loyalist is a pure tetraploid"

what do you mean by *PURE*?

all three cell layers are polyploid! ..or what else does *pure* mean?

Not knowing anything on matters ploidal, after the scientific meeting on the
subject in Durham and after reading these posts in the last two weeks I
ventured on the subject to a Canadian biologist. I was amazed to find out
about tremendous tetraploid salmon that will never be seen in any markets
because of their deformed heads. As the biologist told me, " Who would want
to look at these at the dinner table?"

Alex Waterhouse-Hayward