Re: dirty jokes on the open

  • Subject: Re: dirty jokes on the open
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:16:23 -0400

Hi Mike,
           I wasn't here for the political battles of the fall, but this is
a different matter. The real matter under discussion here is that some
members have children in the house, and that Jim's jokes go too far in terms
of what is acceptable for them to be exposed to. I'm an adult, and not
easily shocked at that, but I can see that the content of these jokes is not
something that parents would want their children to have access to. Other
than Jim's jokes, and the occasional bit of humor from Bill Nash, there is
nothing on this list that children shouldn't have access to. Maybe by
allowing them to read the posts, they can develop an interest in plants and
gardening, and learn a little about how adults behave. The question is:
Should the parents in the group find ways to block hostaopen from their
children, or should hostaopen tell Jim to stop it, since he has refused
requests from some members not to send them. Jim has been told that children
have access to the material he sends. There are always those who delight in
testing the limits of what others will tolerate, maybe because they seek
punishment, I don't know. Anyway, it seems that the majority should decide
this. There are no rules that I know of concerning content, just the
complaints of those who feel it is inapropriate. Obscenity is a majority
concept. Whatever most people think is obscene is obscene. There was a time
when seeing a woman's ankles was pretty risque. In some arab countries women
must hide their faces. Here and now many think Jim's jokes go to far.

...........Bill Meyer