Top Ten Most Recognizeable

  • Subject: Top Ten Most Recognizeable
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:23:39 -0400

OK here are my pick's for the Top Ten Most Recognizeable Hostas:

Yellow River
      This is one that you only have to see one time in its mature form to remember. If you don't have it, get one immediately. Try to buy as big a plant as you can, because it grows slowly.

Gold Standard
      An old favorite that everybody whose been around hosta for a few years can identify from a mile away. None of its sports grow nearly as large, so there's no confusion with them.

Great Expectations
      The center color is truly unique. No mistaking GE for anything else. Again, if you're having trouble growing it, get a large one to start over with.

June
      Probably the most colorful of hostas. The closest thing to a peacock in the genus. Remember Mike Groothuis' close-up of a June leaf? Did anybody have to read the message to know what it was?

Frosted Jade
       More subtle than some of the others on my list, but the only plant of it's kind. One you really can tell from a long way off when its mature.

Sagae
        Another one-of-a-kind, considered the best hosta by many. Who doesn't know what this one looks like.

Spring Fling
        Once you see this you won't forget it. Easily the most dramatic of the piecrust types with its white edge.

Spritzer
        In spring, this plant is unmistakeable. Even when the center turns green, there isn't another like it

Northern Halo/Exposure
        Everybody knows what sieboldianas look like. There's only one with a good edge that gets big, so far. If you see a fivbe foot wide sieboldiana with a good, clear margin, what are the odds it's something else?

White Christmas
        I know this doesn't grow well for some, but if you're having trouble with it, try getting another one, as big as you can find, and giving it a lot of sun. For all the white, it can grow pretty big and has little tendency to melt out.

I suppose Sun Power would be number 11 if I could have 11. In the next ten, I'd have to include Ron Livingston's Atom Smasher, Bold Ruffles, Night before Christmas, Winfield Blue, Filigree, nigrescens, Regal Splendor, Sum and Substance, and Summer Music

                                                                                   ............Bill Meyer