Re: under appreciated hosta

  • Subject: Re: under appreciated hosta
  • From: DonWachtel@webtv.net (Don)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:43:30 -0400 (EDT)

If I could have only one hosta variety it would be a tough choice  but I
would choose "Frances Williams" or "Aurora Borealis" whichever which is
which.  (If I were younger it might be 'Great Expectations" or "Sagae").
I have several purchased under both names and cannot tell them apart.
From what  Alex Summers has been saying all these years I suspect they
are all "Aurora Borealis".

Those planted here have varying degrees of sun exposure and that seems
to make no difference as to the extent of edge 'burn',  which is sleight
in most cases.  Here in zone 6 they have that condition already in early

Isn't it now thought that the edges of the newly formed leaves on FW
have some sort of genetic weakness or maybe a  lesser substance which
makes them susceptible to sun damage (or frost?) in early spring and
before they are protected by the shade of 'leafed out' trees?