Re: Looking for a very small tree or large bush to complement hosta

  • Subject: Re: Looking for a very small tree or large bush to complement hosta
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:21:46 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/01 22:32:58 Eastern Daylight Time, ardissono@home.com

<< I am looking for suggestions on a tree/bush that doesn't get higher then 6
and doesn't have a massive root system >>

Hi, Kate:

These are hardy Japanese maples in zone 5:

Acer palmatum 'Tsuma Beni', it means "Red Nail"...I early spring the leaf
tips are red looking like the tips have a red nail polish on them;

Acer dissectum 'Waterfall', I have mine for 5 years & it is 3.5' high and

Acer dissectum'Viridis';

Acer palmatum 'Peaches and Cream';

Acer palmatum 'Caperci Dwarf', a real gem at 1.5' high x 3.5' wide & the
leaves are about 0.75" , I have this beauty for 6 years, I grow dwarf & mini
hosta under this umbrella canopy

Acer palmatum 'Sango kaku', better known as 'Coral Bark Maple'...this one
have for 8 years, and it's 5' high with a multistem...imagine bright coral
red against the white snow, small apple green leaves turning to a brilliant
yellow-orange in the fall.

I also have three dissectum red weeping Japanese maples...the oldest is 11
years old 4' high x 6' wide.

Hope this helps you...have a great weekend

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA