Re: Breeders' Rights

  • Subject: Re: Breeders' Rights
  • From: "Ransom Lydell" <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:37:23 -0400

Let's look at some thinking that has not been presented so far.
Chick has indicated that the " originator" may not have all that many expenses.  Here are the facts.  My average for a "potential "new plant" to grow on and observe, is about one in 4000.  Each year I select around 75 to 100 plants for this.  These are planted in a "special" bed, and labeled.  It will take another two years, ( except for plants selected for blooms, that takes much longer) to start to pick out a few small clumps that "look good"  For me the next phase, is to place a few of these plants in "test gardens" and ask for results and opinion of the host.  I will in the meantime, plant the remaining pieces in several kinds of locations here at Eagle Bay.  The results and "best conditions" are all noted as are all comments by the "test gardens"  this is a process that takes another 3 to 4 years.  During that time, assuming the plant seems to have potential, pictures and stats are taken for registration.  The plus here is this has given me time to "build stock", although many plants do not "pass muster" and are discarded,or never offered for sale.  At this point, the "market" has to be introduced to the plant.  Obviously,it needs a name that will be attractive.  It must be shown in as many forums, as one can find, including leaf shows and shows like "First Look"  If the introducer is lucky, the plant will slowly become "sought after" If the introducer is extremely lucky, it will make a "hit" somewhere, and be an "overnight" success.  Any thought that a fair return for all this effort, is the noted 5.00 cost, is just plain wrong.  The best answer for me has been to "sit on it" until I have a quantity of stock ready, or to have private Tc work done by some one who will not "loose" my plant.  You may then want to offer the "stock" to someone who can market it for you.