Breeders rights

  • Subject: Breeders rights
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:32:48 -0400

This message from Ann and Roger Bowden bounced off hosta-open....and I don't know why.
Subject: Re: Breeders' Rights
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:51:45 +0100

Hosta 'June' is a good example of how Plant Breeders' Rights works in =
UK.  The ownership of the rights is with Notcutts Nurseries.  Most =
supplies here come through them.  We applied for, and were granted a =
licence to propagate June.  We are obliged to record all the divisions =
of this plant, made from mother plants supplied by Notcutt and are =
expected to line out the divisions with occasional date labels, while =
they re.establish after dividing so that a visiting inspector employed =
by the Association can call and confirm the numbers.  This system is =
mainly used for roses, but applies to a few herbaceous plants.  We then =
send a six-month declaration of numbers, and are invoiced accordingly, =
the fee being passed on to Notcutt. =20
We find that plants of H. 'June' are being supplied into UK by several =
Dutch wholesalers and we do wonder what royalty arrangements work there.

Roger B.=20