no subject and New Column

  • Subject: no subject and New Column
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:12:14 -0400

I have read the two recent  posts that Glen Williams  has asked that you
forward to hosta-open readers.
There seems to be something behind or within the posts that are puzzling
to me. I wondered if they  appeared puzzling to other readers as well.
Let me try to summarize how I interpreted  these posts.

Glen explained that he was proposing a New Question/Answer Column in the
Hosta Journal in which he would be the Arbitrator for selection of
questions to be answered  by appropriate people  he would select. The
criteria  of the questions and answers to be selected would be whether
information being discussed was a fact or merely an opinion about a
subject.. The ground rules included  the prohibition of any questions
and answers on hosta politics. Glen would use the hosta robins and their
members as resources for these questions and answers. He solicited
questions and expected hundreds by Sunday.

In my mind red flags started to wave, sirens went off and ringing and
clanging bells suggested that huge trucks with loads of large rocks were
backing up, indicating DANGER. I asked myself "What is happening?" Why
doesn't Glen subscribe to hosta-open and discuss this with everyone
there directly? Is he going to continue discussion each time through
you? No offence intended, but this seems very clumsy to me.

Now my questions to Glen....What is hosta politics?  Is this an attempt
by someone in political power  (such as a former secret hosta policeman,
for example) to control others  by restrictions/rules/ regulations? Does
being an Arbitrator give one person power and authority to decide Truth
(also known as facts) from Fiction (also called mere opinion)? Does
selection of questions and "correct"  answers
give undue power and manipulative control to one person? And/or  his
friends? Who decides whether the Arbitrator is competent in science ,
for example, to determine fact from opinion?....the Arbitrator himself?

Hosta-open was created as a media to openly discuss hosta subjects of
all kinds . It is doing fine with freedom of expression available for
all to use , express and judge for themselves. I suggest that Glen may
wish to rejoin Hosta-open and find this out for himself.....but that he
leave any attempts at Manipulation and Control  of others with Phoenix.
It is not acceptable at Hosta-open....AND THAT'S A FACT.

Jim Hawes

Barbara wrote:
Glen asked me to post this to the Open Robin. Here is your chance to
help the