Re: Happy 4th

Dear Hank,

Well, no, I don't think any of those things will happen and it's not clear how we got from the pledge of allegiance to school vouchers.  But whatever.  I simply don't see perdition behind every bush.

I imagine these United States will stumble along in spite of ourselves, much as we always have.  It does continue to be a marvel that the country works at all, given its disparate and quarrelsome parts.  But it does.

Ann James
Conroe, Texas