Re: Happy 4th

  • Subject: Re: Happy 4th
  • From: m singer <nmb@ameritech.net>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 05:49:47 -0400

I normally stay out of these types of things, BUT as I recall, the words
stay that as a country we will not support the establisment of a
religion. It doesn't say anywhere in the constitution about the
separation of church and state and recently implemented (last 50+ or so
years). The constitution was written by men who wanted the right to
believe and worship in their own way. That belief is supported by the
right of free speech. As to the KKK, no I don't have to accept their
beliefs personally, but I do agree that constitutionally they have the
right to say it and I have the right NOT to listen (also a biggie!). I
get to change the cannel on my TV or radio, pick up alternate view books
and newspapers, something my family members left behind in europe didn't
have under Hilter and behind the iron curtain (I'm Slovak.. I'm sure
you've heard of Bosnia).

Ignorance, intolerance and stupidity were not outlawed by the
constitution, in fact the founding fathers gave us all the right to be
just that at any time, any place within reason (no yelling fire in a
crowded theater).

They also gave us the DUTY as citizens to protect the rights of the
altenate sides to speak their say. This and all forums are proof of the
strength of that belief.

So back to the KKK etal.  As an American I STRONGLY support their right
of free speach, as a Christian I STONGLY disagree with their beliefs.
We're equals here in the US and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Lastly.. then I'm gone silently for another upteen months.. lets
remember that aplies only to SPEACH, you cannot physically inpose on
anyone else, white, black, male, female, Baptist, Muslim, family or not
they have rights too and the constitution never gave anyone the right to
physically IMPOSE, or FORCE beliefs or behaviors onto another free
person. That's where some of these groups mentioned cross the line.

The options are what the rest of my extended family still faces daily in
Bosnia.

That's my 4th speech..

Bye...

Mary