Hosta Meander

  • Subject: Hosta Meander
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 08:50:56 -0500

A brief moment on the pleasure of the garden. I have come up for air and
wanted to share this morning's meander which had no agenda other than to
walk through and take pleasure in the plants.  To use Cornelia Holland's
term,  I will go with the pick of the day.

H. 'Torchlight' makes a perfect 1/2 mound. 3' across, wavy margined leaves
with the delightfully colored petioles showing through here and there. H.
'Granary Gold'. Not green yet, but on the way. A giant plant holding its
own  amidst other  H.'Sum and Substance' sports. H. 'Mikado' and H.'Jade
Cascade'  in a wonderful shape where not leaf will ever touch the ground.
And for the first time, after 8 years H. 'Embroidery' has been spectacular.
The early June contrasting color was wonderful and there is still a hint of
this. The puckered and embroidered edge  is true to that classic black and
white photo in Aden's book. And right next to it , for no reason or intent
on my part have sprung two large sunflowers.  Having sunflowers amidst the
hostas  requires a sense of humor I didn't know I had.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont