Re: Hosta Meander & heat

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Meander & heat
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:30:41 -0500

>>Jim Hawes wrote an article a few years ago about growing Hosta in
Florida, where he was living at the time.  From memory, as I recall the
Hosta plant needs ~6 weeks of constant TEMPERATURE under 40F.  Don't
recall the daylight cycle involvement, but that may be a factor, too.<<

You know, guys, I don't think that's true.  I have never in my whole life
lived anywhere in Texas where there were six weeks of constant temp under
40F, and certainly not in Conroe, Zone 8.

Hostas appear to need a certain period of dormancy, for I thought mine had
all died. And they don't respond to soil warmth, either, just time under the
ground.  This may be why Texas A&M commissioned a seven year study using
plant wholesale nurseries to grow hostas just to see what's happening.

I am happy to report that my hostas are not only happy and thriving but have
grown bigger and more impressive. Not only that, but they have evidently
seeded the bed and I have lifted those little guys and put them in pots.

Ann James