smashed hostas

  • Subject: smashed hostas
  • From: falkora@smig.net
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:38:56 -0500

I hope someone can offer me some advice on what to do about a couple of hostas smashed by a fallen tree. The top half of a large spruce tree was blown over in a storm last night, and fell right on top of my best, most established hosta bed. When I went out this morning I thought the whole bed was ruined...all I could see was the spruce tree. When I finally finished cutting the tree into small enough pieces that I could move them out on the lawn, I was amazed at how little damage was done! Only two hostas were badly damaged. I had a huge clump of 'Sugar and Cream' the biggest one I have seen and it was just flattened. Many leaves were just hanging by a thread and I've removed those. Others are laying flat on the ground (I didn't realize what long petioles this hosta has until I see them flat) but are still in one piece. Should I cut off all the leaves? Or prop up the remaining ones so they aren't laying on the ground?
For the leaves that are broken off, many of the remaining petioles are 8-9 inches long. Should I trim them off at the ground or leave them long? I hate to give up on this plant (one of my favorite fragrant cultivars) because there has to be a tremendous root system under the ground! The other hosta was 'Tattoo', which was completely crushed. All I can do with it is wait and see if any new growth comes up. But I expect I will have to replace it.
Linda Kofstad