Re: smashed hostas

  • Subject: Re: smashed hostas
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:41:23 -0400

Hi Linda,

This happens here with our ice/hail storms all the time. Remove the leaves
with broken petioles. Those still well attached but flattened, just leave
alone. Propping up may do more damage than not. Watch your hosta for
decomposing leaves and bits and remove those as you see them. Above all,
don't fret, those hostas will be as good as ever, or even better next year.
All you need now is patience. As a gardener you probably have learned this
prerequisite already. I have had hostas completely flattened by late ice
storms or hail storms(ours come up very early) and by July they were back,
as good as new, and the following year they are usually better clumps
because the loss of leaves wakes up the dormant buds in the rhizome. Best,
W. George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL