Re: Round-Up question

  • Subject: Re: Round-Up question
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 22:44:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2004 7:14:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
njhosta@hotmail.com writes:
   What do you know about which shrubs and trees might be most
vulnerable? Are any known to have serious problems with Surflan or Treflan?
I'm a little nervous with them around Rhododendrons and Azaleas because of
the numerous small roots near the surface, but are there any we should be
especially careful about?
Not Gregory here but can tell you a story that might answer your question.
My sister was the horticulturist for one of the big horse farms in KY.  She
said that they killed a bunch of trees by spraying around the base routinely with
roundup.  This included everything from big oaks to poplars and sycamores
etc.  When the farm manager brought it up with her she recalled that they lawn
crew were doing this and put two and two together.  Since there is no need for a
license to spray roundup she was not needed to do the spraying in this

I am very careful about spraying around anything that I value, trees included.