Re: Hosta 'Cathy's Clown'

Ok, you got me started anyway.

It is my understanding that the name 'Cathy's Clown' becomes official when it is registered or when it is published and the plant is described in a printed catalog. This last may have been changed, but if so, I don't know about it.

I suggested long ago that there be a system for name reservation, as there is for daylily registrations (or at least there was when I was a member of that society long ago). There process had limits and restrictions and seemed relatively simple to me. If the plant was not introduced withn a limited time, the reservation was void. I know that some will say that this will lead to all the good names being reserved, and I can only respond that it seems to me that this is already happening, except that people now have to find a plant to register in order to get the name. There seems to be a competition to get the first and last hosta names, and if you register a plant named 'Aaaaaaaaaaaah', I will just have to find a plant to name Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah' so I can be the first listed until you find something to name Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah'. What's the limit, 35 letters?

I give my plants names long before I decide to introduce them, simply because it is easier for me to remember 'Cathy's Clown' than "980205" or some such nonsense. If other people see the plant among my seedlings, there is no way they will remember a number. If, as has happened in many cases, someone else registers the name before I am ready to do anything with the plant that's just my hard luck and I have to think of another name. Some obviously disagree with me, but I don't think that selection, naming, and registration should necessarily all happen at the same time. 'Cathy's Clown' has been named for several years, the plant was shown at First Look 3 years ago. But it just is not time to introduce or register the plant. I can come up with another name if I have to. The point is that this plant should be under my control until I say it's time to distribute it. I have never sold the plant to anyone and have never authorized anyone else to sell it.

I want to emphasize again that I am not faulting Hilltop for selling the plant. But just because it was done unknowingly, doesn't mean that it can go any farther. There is really no way to stop anyone from doing whatever they want, but as far as I'm concerned the plant that was sold is not my 'Cathy's Clown' unless I say so, and if it is sold under that name again, I'll just have to find another name for the real plant. And I will not do so quietly.

Richard Jolly wrote:

But Chick, What if I want to name my "special" plant "Cathy's Clown"? If
it's not registered or patented what stops anyone from naming their plant
the same name. I wonder what lab did your original????????

Pine Forest Gardens Grower of Quality Hostas On Line Catalog

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE