Where's the pollen?

I've been trying a little pollen dabbing aound the yard and I have one
question, why does it seem that I can't find much pollen on my hostas?
I've played around with daylilies before so I know the basic procedures
for doing crosses, but I'm having a hard time finding any pollen to use.
Is it just the weather? I usually try to go out as soon as I get home
from work, about 9am and the daylilies are perfect at that time. Not
that I have anything exciting to work with, jsut sort of learning the
ropes.
Thanks
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net