Re: Shade and Hostas

Mark D. Shulman wrote:

> Hi Hosta Friends:
>
> We often discuss sun tolerant hostas while acknowledging that they
> 'grow' in shade.  I have a good sense regarding the most favorable light
> conditions for growing hostas in my area.  I would be interested in your
> opinion on the following.  I have an extensive elevated deck on the
> south side of my house with the usual small spaces between the boards.
> The exposed side of the deck is beneith high shade from a tall red oak
> and hickory.  I recently installed a path beneith the length of the deck
> and filled in with good garden soil on each side of the path.  I have
> impatiens and lamiastrum galeobgolan (sp) now growing in these gardens
> and they are doing just OK.  Does anyone know which particular hasta
> cultivars might do well in this situation?
>
> Any advice?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Mark.
>
> Woodstock,  NY  z5/4.

Mark,
  It sounds like you have my house! I have a long deck on the south
side, too. With shade from 2 large old oaks. Under them, and along the
deck is a 20 foot long shaded garden bed. In it, I have planted mostly
gold and blue hostas. Among them, are Blue Angel, Blue Mammoth, Gray
Cole, Blue Umbrellas, August Moon, Sagae, Granary Gold, Blue Wedgewood,
Blue Moon, Gold Edger, and Hirao Supreme. Along with that, are some nice
companion plants like columbine, lamium, perennial lobelia,
tradescantia, and tricyrtis.
  All of the hostas are doing wonderfully. The golds hold their color
well because of the light shade, but it's just enough, also, for the
blues to remain true to color.
  Certainly my list of what I have planted isn't what you might choose,
but my hostas are doing wonderful in a similar situation. Enjoy your new
shade garden!

Diane
Toledo, OH, zone 5