Re:Hosta Disease?

At 04:08 PM 7/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jean Carpenter asked about a disease two of her hostas were exhibiting. Jean
>it sounds like you have a case of crown rot.

I had calla lilies (hardy to Z9) planted in front foundation border several
years ago, and forgot to bring them in for the winter.  One actually came
up and bloomed the next season, but in the third season, it did not.  I dug
for the bulb, and found a slimy mess in its place.  Four years later I
planted Yucca 'Bright Edge' (hardy in my zone) in the same area; each year
it dwindled a little more and in the third season (last year) I decided it
was not going to make it in partial shade and moved it to a sunny area.  It
didn't come up in the spring, and when I dug for it, found a slimy, rotted
heap, with a few tiny shoots - the shoots were growing in small areas of
healthy rhizome.  I cut them away from the decomposing mass, and they
eventually rooted and broke the soil.

Now here're a few questions:
Did the calla lily get a disease, perhaps caused by a debilitated state
from struggling to survive in an unnatural environment (which then were
able to multiply without restraint)?  Or did it just rot from common,
non-infectious anaerobes, after it was killed by the winter's cold?

Could the yucca have rotted from disease caused by organisms in the soil,
which had perhaps encapsulated after the calla disintegrated?

Are the hostas in the bed where I planted the yucca before I realized it
was rotting going to catch something?  I understand hostas and yuccas are
Maybe both can get the same species of 'crown rot'.

How about the areas where I planted the rhizomes cut from the old plant -
they were not treated with a fungicide - are they carrying something?

Thanks for any advice.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6