Re: crown rot

THanks for the site.  I will read it today.  I have been keeping notes and
doing research with this each year.  I originally started by using only
"green" methods to try to eradicate this (Comet sprinkled on crowns, soaking
plant in bleach solution, etc.), but this year have gone to fungicides.  This
year I am treating when I see it and I plan to mark plants that have had any
trace of it this year and sprinkle the crowns next year before they leaf out.
THe place I bought the fungicide (Engage)  from said it works better as a
preventative.  If this doesn't work next year I am going to bite the bullet
and dig and pitch if I see signs of it.
Kay Dye, Edelstein, IL Zone 5

 This crown rot thing is driving me crazy too, having just found it on my
 year-old 'Sum and Substance', which this year has ten bloom scapes.
 I did some research and thought you might like to see the article I found.
 However, since I can't seem to figure out how to attach the file or copy and
 paste it, here is the address:

 Bev Stegeman

  >> I had crown rot in Brim Cup and Nigrescens Elatior this spring.  In addition to removal of necrotic tissue around the crown, and enough dirt so it would dry out, I treated them with a pinch of Agri-Strep, a powdered antibiotic I bought for fruit tree fire blight but didn"t use.  They both recovered and are now doing fine.  Last year I treated Great Expect. with the first two methods without the antibiotic and lost it.  It would appear that my crown rot is bacterial, so guess what I will be using if it ever appears again.

Lawrence Lacey