Re: Beauty Curve in Hostas/rhizomes

In a message dated 7/7/1999 11:26:49 AM Central Daylight Time, Meum71@aol.com
writes:

<< Rhizomes are under ground spreading stems that produce new eyes at there
tips.
 Think of a strawberry plant but with the runners under ground.

I wish to correct my above statement, All Hosta have rhizomes and they are
under ground stems, but not all Hosta have spreading stems like strawberries.
Those Hosta that do have these stems are called Stoloniferous.  Stolens are
modified stems that spread out horizontally to one degree or another and
produce new eyes.
Exsamples of some include:
yellow and neat splash rim
scooter and those listed by others all ready.

I have found that many diffrent Hosta can be induced into growing as if they
were Stoloniferous by planting them a few inches deeper when placing them in
the ground.
This nature has advatagres when it comes to propagation.

Paul