Re: Evaluating seedlings

Ran & IndianaBob, this is really interesting reading, thank you both so much for your posts.

Let me see if I get this, Ran you get a seedling that you think is "interesting", you first establish stability (about 3 years) then you plant it in various parts of your garden to test slug effectiveness, dry conditions, wet conditions, sun, deep shade, and then, about 12 years later, assuming it past these tests, you register it. Jeez, that's amazing. Makes me wonder how some plants made it into trade.

I've been babying two sports. One is from Sitting Pretty and one is from Lucy Vitols. Since I'm in the south, then I need to find someone in the north who would evaluate my plants in their conditions to see if it's a good plant all around, right? Bob, do you have a form made up that the recipant of your gifts can fill out that gives you the information you want to know? For example, a form that can be filled out in spring, mid-summer, flowering time, end of summer. Hmm, maybe with a color wheel-like attachment that evaluates leaf color during different times of the year, and bloom color in different parts of the country.

And here I thought this would be easy. Am I creating a monster, or what?

This is great stuff guys, exactly what I wanted when I joined the robin. Thanks.

Lu (Atlanta, Z 7B)