Stolen Hostas--Collecting Data

After the hosta convention in Ann Arbor four of us took nursery tours in
the area. We were alarmed to hear from Bob Kuk and Pete Ruh that they
each had hostas stolen in the weeks before the convention. Pete's stolen
hostas were just in from Japan and only a serious hosta person would
recognize them. I have heard that Dr. Benedict has also had hostas
stolen. Van Wade reported no stolen hostas, but did say he lost $1,200.
in a business trade that went sour. Van was very interested in Bob and
Pete's loss and the collection of more data.

The theft of hostas is something that I am sure concerns us all. If this
kind of problem persist one day we are going to find that people with
valuable collections are not going to want ANY visitors. This would be a
terrible loss to honest hosta collectors. This is nothing short of
mental torture to those who have lost hostas to theft.

I am offering to collect data on stolen hostas. Send private e-mail to
me @ sussextreeinc@ce.net  or if you like, post  to the robin. I suggest
you keep the name of suspects confidential in any public posting.

Data to include:

Cultivars missing and size:

I am hoping theft of hostas in a very minor problem. I know of no other
organized attempt to collect this kind of data. Until we do, we have no
way of knowing how wide spread hosta theft has become.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7