Re: old vs new

What are the benefits of using the newer more
>expensive streaked breeders vs the older ones.

Older ones?
My thoughts on the subject are, does anyone really know?  I would guess
there are no benefits except what characteristics are you breeding for.
Each of us has their own experience and that is all we can go by, and
someone just starting out will have to set standards.  Everyone has a
different set of standards and degree of success with different plants.  The
advice always seems to be the same, get a GOOD breeder and then try for a
seedling that will serve as a breeder in your own line by your own
standards.  I have used Neat Splash (cheap enough) for years and everyone
says it will not produce a good offspring.  Look at registrations, Neat
Splash appears in many.  I have a seedling this year out of neat splash that
has a beet red bloom stalk on a pretty little streaked seedling with good
substance. I believe it will make a good parent.  Didn't cost me a thing.
Standards should always be high, without question, but generally speaking,
everyone sees something different in a hosta.    Personally, I do like
Breeders Choice, Little Wonder  and Crepe Suzette streaked.  I have a
streaked breeder that was a gift and am not sure of parentage.  It is
forming pods for the first time and I am hoping it will prove worthy.  Has
all the right qualifications, good substance fertile, and will produce
variegated offspring.  Again, it didn't cost anything.
I believe it comes to personal choice and what you want the end result to
Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois