Re: old vs new

Chick wrote:
> I'm going to stick my neck out and venture the opinion that anyone who buys an
> expensive streaked hosta to start a breeding program is wasting their money,
> even though I sell them.
> Why pay $50-100 for a "name" breeder when you can build your own from virtually
> any streaked plant.

Very good advice Chick, and coming from a professional grower I think a
lot of people will consider it, and follow it. I have some beautiful
streaked plants, some of which I have TC'd (Marbled Cream and Breeders
Choice). Breeders Choice has a VERY high cull rate while Marbled Cream
seems to be pretty stable in TC. Most of the plants coming out of TC
from streaked plants, is simply the stable form of those plants. I can't
understand what's wrong with this. Can somebody inform me? The most
beautiful streaked hosta I have, by far, is a Montana Chirifu seedling I
grew from seed Jim Hawes was kind enough to share with me. He also sent
me a piece of the original plant. The streaked seedling is far and away
more beautiful of the two. Since I don't have time to do any hybridizing
we can only enjoy these beautiful plants.