Re: streaked vs sport

At 09:53 PM 7/21/99 -0500, "I wanna be Bobby's Girl?" wrote:
Can sports that are basically streaked be used for breeding or is it just streaked plants from seedlings." <Bob Axmear>

Hate to answer! ..yer last question? ..with another question; and don't mind me Bobby, cuz every sentence I write! ..usually ends with a question mark ..to keep me out of twouble? LOL

If? ..the striated mutation is fertile (having good pod set?) and does result in good seed-sprout (germination?) then you may have yourself a breeder; particularly when & if, the scape is streaky as well?  Be careful tho' Bob, as to what it is you adopt to become yer breeder tho' -- cuz many are a waste of time & effort!  As an example, I'd like to use Sweet Standard (streaky form).  It does send up striped scapes, but then, it flowers so bloody late in the season, and unless you pot the plant ..take same indoors to ripen the seed, you ain't gonna see no seed?  Then when you do ripen the seed indoors, and sow it ...nuttin sprouts -- I hope you know what I mean by "be careful what you spend your time with"?

Regarding that STREAK POTENTIAL 1994 list, which I circulated earlier, please note it is an old document, and some of the information contained within it is wrong!  As an example, I've tried many times, growing seed from Choko Nishiki/On Stage; and all seedlings, were always solid-colored (monochrome?).  Likewise, I've done a lotta hunting for anyone who has seen striated offspring from "spilt milk" -- nobody has yet, that I am aware of?

hope this helps, ya dream up some more "last questions"? LOL

Bill Nash