Re: old vs new

At 05:43 PM 7/19/99 -0500, Bob Axmear wrote:
" What are the benefits of using the newer more expensive streaked breeders vs
the older ones."
>>------------->> In my opinion Bob? ..there is absolutely no benefit in using
a newly released streaky breeder, opposed to using an older variety; and I
believe, one is further ahead to use the latter ..for the following reasons:
-->it costs a lot less! ..and criteria such as -->> "fertility &
seed-germination & offspring results" is more likely established in the older
types!
                          Here's my tip of the day ..to all U-folks out there
pollinating:  If you are interested to obtain variegated seedlings? ..keep a
close eye on the flower stem (scape?).  If your streaky leaf pod-parent has
multiple scapes (flower stems/spikes?) ..select the ones, which have white
stripes running up & within the flower scape; and use this type, for your
pollination.  This is opposed to using an all green scape, for you
pollination.  You will obtain far far better results, working with striped
scapes.
                           ALSO; and rather than, spending a lot of money,
buying a bunch of striated breeders, why not obtain a particular one? ..which
you feel personally, is your best bet to provide whatever it is you would like
to see.  Grow as many seedlings as possible from it; only keep the streakies;
and use these, as your own breeding-line for future generations.

just some personal thoughts? ..and most important of all!...

:-B))
be happy,
cuz HAVING FUN is the name of the hybridizing game

Here's an example of "having fun?" ...and I truly hope, I'm at liberty to
release this bit of NEWS:???
    -->>to whit, Mr. James Hawes of Oakland MD & myself have exchanged mails
for a very long long time, even before Internet communication became known.
Ever since I can remember? ..Jimbo has always dreamed about finding a striated
longipes type.  Now, my last communication received from Mr. Hawes, has him
"flying on a cloud" cuz he found what he longed & dreamed for, in one of his
own seedlings, in his own yard; and this, from H. longipes 'Urajiro Hachijo'!
Now? ...final question, if anyone here, ever gets a chance to grow seed from
this striped scape ...don't forget yer local yokels in Cadana :-( eh? and

"TO all'U DREAMERS OUT THERE! ..dream big dreams"?

ps ..and for your information ..Jim Hawes is our number one backup-man to the
NISE group of seedling growers & hybridizers at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise

the'SHADOW'gardener
email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/