AHS - Local Societies - It's time to get a voice.

  • To: "Hosta" <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: AHS - Local Societies - It's time to get a voice.
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:23:49 -0400

Hi Cornelia,

You job as Local Society Coordinator brings you in contact with the many
fine volunteers who organize the local societies. These local societies
are tremendously important to the survival of the AHS.  At the present
time the AHS looks at these local societies as a group that needs to be
managed. This is the wrong view IMO. The AHS needs to be responsive to
the desires of the whole membership. At present the locals are entirely
out of the loop.

At the convention banquet / business meeting it became obvious to even
the most casual observer that there is much dissatisfaction surrounding
the way new officers are placed into position by those already holding
offices. The officers of the AHS have become a self perpetuating
government that excludes anyone that does not tow the current party

The AHS is being steered by too small a group. This needs to be changed.
This issue will be brought up again at the 2000 convention banquet /
business meeting.

Yes, there is a political movement afoot.

The local societies must have real voting power. The time has come.

The way the I.A.C. policy was drafted and is being implemented is proof
positive that real accountability is needed. The president of the AHS
growers association is in favor of the I.A.C. Meanwhile, the growers
don't favor the I.A.C. In fact, the growers were not even asked their
opinion of the I.A.C. If it were not for the internet robins, the
growers would not even have had a chance to express their opinions. This
is an impeachable offence IMO.

We need to change the fact that anyone who speaks out for change is
treated like an enemy of the AHS. It's an awfully old ploy. It's also a

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7