Re: [hostapix] Re: Sun Tolerant

I would like to add to Gerry's comments by saying that in this part of TN
none of the hostas that I have ever tried can grow in full sun.  Nigrescens
does better than any other that I have tried.  So please if you publish your
gathered selections state the area that you are discussing.  We have many new
people that read a lot of this and then rush out to buy a certain plant
thinking that they can grow it in full sun.  That very thing happened
yesterday.  Someone had read the discussion and came to the garden asking for
plants that would grow in the sun.  I just could not sell them plants that I
knew would not do well so they went home disappointed.  Think how many others
went to garden centers or other places to get plants without anyone to guide
them.  I also heard a story yesterday when a young man told me that he had
put some hostas in the sun last fall already they looked really brown and he
would have to move them or felt sure they would die.
When I first began to grow hostas I read books that suggested sun for up to
3/4 a day.  Even though an excessive amount of water helps, growing in full
sun will not work here.
Mary