Re: Chemicals and worms

Bob, my mother Pauline Banyai was an early Organic Gardener - we thought
anyone using chemicls were part of the " Conspiracy" pointed out in Rachel
Carlson's 'Silent Spring' . And then I became a chemical engineer and worked
a lifetime for a large chemical company - Mom never quite got used to that
but did better understand and come to use chemicals.
A long way around to saying that she had us boys bring home tons of frogs and
toads for the reasons you cited. After years of toads and frogs and
beneficial nematofdes, slug bait became her main weapon. They work, but only
until they are full!

She found out from some discussions with grass growers that the only way to
remove slugs is to eliminate their breeding areas, which are in wet grass and
mulch. She began to take out our home grass to remove their breeding areas!