From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
[mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of Betsy Mahtani
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:02 AM
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: Chemicals and worms

Bob - I agree with everyone who responded that toads DO help.  I keep
water in my old, leaky water garden just for frogs and toads and have so
many tadpoles and frogs and toads that their calls are almost deafening
at night--but welcome.  Box turtles also eat slugs, snails, and roly
polys.  Snakes may eat them, too (we have garter, gopher, rat, and hog
nosed snakes), but they eat small rodents as well (unfortunately they
also eat frogs).  I was encouraged to see several toads and turtles near
the infested hostas last year when the nasty blister beetles invaded in
August--but aghast yesterday when I spotted a blister beetle--much too
soon!!

Have bought some of the insecticides and baits, but usually leave them
unopened when I read all the warnings again.

Convention was wonderful, meeting people from this forum was great, and
it was exciting that you received a presidential award for all your fine
work!

Betsy