Re: new hosta at Walmart

  • Subject: Re: new hosta at Walmart
  • From: "Ransom Lydell" <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:04:26 -0400

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2001 7:43 AM
 I don't if you have had both K Mart and Wall Mart ( and Quality Fleet) open up and start selling low cost & low quality plants, with in a mile of you, but I have. They put almost all the little garden centers here out of business.  They have slowly "stolen" a lot of my business.
Hope I don't dissappoint you here, but when a grower/supplier, resorts to selling "wholesale" to Wal Mart and undercutting the people who have been it's supporters for many years, it is with some glee that I watch it wither and die. Do you think, that Wal-Mart or K Mart "Cares" when they suddenly cancel a contract on one of these people.  There is a understood policy on the part of the big chains.  It gos like this.  Come in an area with low cost , higher quality merchandise.  Put down a huge inventory.  Place "loss leaders" in every area where local compition seems strong.  Continue this untill you have put most of that compition out of business.  During this time pick high profile , public "causes" like schools, and do some "public betterment" programs.  Believe it or not, they came to me and bought large spruce to plant at one of our local schools. I charged them plenty ( retail +)I am proud to say.   Once they have accomplished wrecking the local businesses, they gradually change all of the above, and a large part of the public then becomes the "target".  If you think for one minute these companies, or their suppliers deserve any sympathy when they fail, I disagree.  I am sorry for innocent employies of the said companies, but for the businesses themselves, I am very happy to see them go.

The whole point that is being missed is the fact that Wal-Mart, Home Depot,
K-Mart are mass merchants, they compete for the volume. We are specialty
growers and we compete for the dollar. Makes no difference what it is, could
be diamonds or coal.
Ran, I really hope you do not take glee and revel in the demise of anyone.
Andrew, you are a jerk of the highest order. The simple words you speak make
it very easy to relies that you are more on your way out than you were ever
on your way in. Having said that, I will still feel a little sad when you
disappear. Have a good day and a better evening.
Amber Wave Gardens
Where quality grows. ( and ain't nothin gona ever change that)