Blue Cadet vs. Hadspen Blue

  • Subject: Blue Cadet vs. Hadspen Blue
  • From: "Hank Zumach" <zumach@execpc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:29:03 -0500

Hi All--I have been double checking some of my labels for accuracy and have become confused about the identity of the hostas that I purchased with the names "Blue Cadet" and "Hadspen Blue". In my garden, these two varieties look very much alike. and I am questioning if the vendor made a mistake.

The description for Blue Cadet in the Hosta Library is much smaller (6x12) than 'The Hosta Handbook"/Zilis' 15x38. Also, the photos is the library show narrower, more pointed leaves than the photo used by Zilis.  The Zilis description and photo seem identical to my plants.  Any comments/help?

The first two Hosta  Library photos for Hadspen Blue seem to have narrower leaves than the third and fourth photos. The third and fourth photos appear to be more similar to the Zilis photo. The plants I purchased seem identical to the Zilis photo.  Any comments/help?

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI