Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict

  • Subject: Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict
  • From: Alex Waterhouse-Hayward <alexwh@wimsey.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:31:26 -0400

Dear Jim,

While I certainly am not an authority on the matter I will maintain that my
Hosta 'Reversed' and H. 'La Vista' have kept their variegation because I
have always removed the green leaves. My streak of irrationality is based on
the very rational statement by W. George Schmid that all variegated plants,
if left alone, will revert. This is the only way they can compete with green
plants that have more chlorophyll. Coddled and fertilized variegated plants
in gardens, as opposed to those in nature are not in a position to compete
for light and for food and thus will keep their variegation. As for having
read all the stuff of the last 6 months in this robin I would like to point
out that I joined only a few days ago.

Astrantia major 'Sunshine', a variegated plant in my garden is reputed to
revert if one allows it to bloom. Any ideas on this?

Sincerely yours,

Alex Waterhouse-Hayward