Azaleas, was hostas go with?

  • Subject: Azaleas, was hostas go with?
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:41:47 -0500

Azaleas are almost a calling this far south.  Houston has an azalea trail every spring or almost spring through swanky gardens.  And about everyone who grows anything has some azaleas.  They are so glorious in the spring, but sometimes a late freeze will kill all the blooms.  We had one this year.  I was out there covering up the hellebores I had just put into the earth, and told later I needn't have bothered.  But it was tent city nonetheless, with bedspreads and sheets and a chair holding it all up.
The hostas had evidently gone to ground earlier, for there was nary a one in sight when I took to urgent measures.
Our gardener cum lawn contractor used to have a plant nursery but now hires out. I told him he could have what he wanted the first year while I was still getting a feel for Conroe dirt and weather, but the next year was mine. And it is.  Therefore I am stomping about and putting in and taking out what displeases and away we go.
It's odd that just a few miles make so much difference in soil and conditions in general.  But they do.  I like here much better than Houston and Lake Charles clay for dirt.  No matter this piney woods dirt is sandy and thin. You can work with it.
Ann James
Conroe, TX