Re: Tree help...they are too slow!

  • Subject: Re: Tree help...they are too slow!
  • From: Alttara Scheer alttara@earthlink.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:38:47 -0400

I have my sites on a gold dawn redwood...they are fast growing (although likely not quite as fast as the green) but sturdy. 40-50 feet tall in 10 years for the greens, or so I've read. The bark is beautiful, and they have a lovely, if slightly formal, conical shape.

Broken Arrow nursery in CT has them, as per website info, and I am planning a trip there, soon!

The Pepsico Headquarters near White Plains, NY, has a 20 acre sculpture garden with a grove of them and a walkway through, and I simply fell in love.

As a matter of fact, Kent, I did a false color IR of them, which photo I sent to the pixlist some months ago - the photo was all shades of yellow/orange, pretty much, iirc. I can resend that, or see if I can find some other shots of them for you, if you'd like.

-a.