Watering hostas.

  • Subject: Watering hostas.
  • From: "Bygd" <bygd@execpc.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:07:09 -0500

George, a couple of weeks ago you made the following post, and when I was
rereading it again tonight, I decided I needed to ask what time of year hostas
add sugars to the rhizome.  While the majority of my hostas are doing really
great, I could make a point of watering during this important time so they
continue to thrive and prosper.

Don't know what too much snow will do, except to say my mother in Detroit
never lost a single hosta to snow cover. I had them laying on top of the
ground (by mistake), roots exposed, when temps went to minus 12 (almost a
record for here) and they liked it just fine. So it's not the cold. In Japan
they sustain minus 40 in the Japan Alps, exposed on rock surfaces. Too much
water-holding good dirt during prolonged spring thaws can lead to rotting if
the roots got injured by prior frost heave. Nothing, but nothing will hurt
hostas more than lack of moisture during the time they add sugars to the
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North