Using Vinegar

  • Subject: Using Vinegar
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:23:10 -0400

Dear Hosta Brethren:

 I have washed stone walkways between raised beds. This has worked well up
to now. In several places I have tried differnet sized stones. I have
several hundred feet of what could be called pea-stone for walkways. The
weeds have come up with a vengance..what I call sour grass. It is literally
a carpet. I do not want to use round-up or anything like that becuase of my
dog wandering up and don the paths looking for me. While I don't want to
spray the vinegar on any of the flower beds, I don't worry about the PH of
the paths. I believe that someone told me at one time that drug stores (?)
carry  different concentrated forms of vinegar. I think the grocery store
variety is 6%. I think that there are concentrations of 20 and 40%. Does
anyone know anything about this? I am weeding the gardens slowly but at
least the shade from the hostas keeps the regrowth rate down. Not so the
open walk ways. The paths most all look  (from a distance) like bright
green moss. Weeding the walks will truly put me over the age. All advice is
welcome.  glen

"Wild raccoons venture out of the canyon...." Peggy Shumaker.

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156