Re: Commercial production of hostas

In a message dated 6/2/1998 6:50:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
TreeHugger@labs.net writes:

<< I am interested in starting a small hosta nursery for local, direct sales.
 I have some questions:
 WHICH hostas to choose?
 It has been suggested that I pick plants that were high on the list in the
 latest popularity poll to propagate and grow on for local sales. >>
Hi Mike:

I think it would be difficult to sell some popular hostas if they are in small
(1 gallon or less) containers to customers who had not seen a mature plant.
One that comes readily to mind is Sum and Substance. That one is always very
high if not top on the Popularity Poll(which, btw, has always mystified me).
So, what I would suggest is that you have a DISPLAY GARDEN, containing mature
specimens of what you are selling.
People who visit my garden and who are not familiar with hostas always like
Golden Tiara, Gloriosa, S & S, Gold Standard, Love Pat, June, montana AM,
Shade Fanfare, Tokudama Flavocircinalis, 'Elegans', Halcyon, August Moon,
Moonlight, Frosted Jade. I find they are NOT taken by most of the golds and
yellows and chartreuses---they think they are "sick."
Others they like are the ones with glossy leaves.

Clyde Crockett z5 ccrerdux@aol.com Indpls IN