hosta selection for production and *Sales*

Dear Barbara, et al

The original message from Clyde said: "People who visit my garden and who
are not familiar with hostas always like these: ... I find they are NOT
taken by most of the golds and yellows and chartreuses---they think they
are "sick."

To me the most important part of this message was "who are not familiar
with hostas".
This will most likely be the type of person that I will be selling to, not
to hostaphiles who enjoy and love all the wonderful variations that hostas
have including those "sickly" looking yellow leaves.

I confess to starting out in horticulture with the idea that any plant that
had yellow leaves must need a shot of iron or nitrogen. This attitude was
reinforced by growing thousand of Rhododendrons. Yellow leaves in Rhodies
are a bad sigh as wee all know.
Once I learned appreciate the beauty of yellows and golds in conifers and
other plant it was an easy jump to appreciating these colors in hosta.

Now, to my point. I suspect that MOST people who are neophyte plant
collectors have the attitude that yellow leaves equals a sickly plant as
Clyde originally stated. What I *don't" want to do is raise a bunch of
yellows and golds and then be in the situation where I cant sell them, or
indeed with some people, even give them away.
As Jose points out, there are a lot of people out there that don't know a
Hem from a Hosta. But part of the fun of being a plant nut is sharing all
this love, enthusiasm and knowledge of plants with the kind of people we
*all* once were - neophytes.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advise. Keep 'em coming!