Re: best hosta potting soil

> Dear Hosta friends,
> I'd very much like to know what do you think is the best potting soil
> for hostas. From growing on small divisions and to adult plants in big
> containers.
> I'm always at a loss looking for the perfect potting mix. I cannot
> find a good commercial potting soil, so I guess I should make my own;
> the ingredients I could have available are: peat moss, fine composted
> pine bark, 'azalea' soil, perlite and vermiculite. At present I do not
> have a good source for quality river sand or gravel.
> Please help!!!
> Jose
> Basque Country, Northern Coastal Spain, 4319N
> Very hilly, very green, very beautiful!!! :-)
> Zone 9. Humid oceanic climate.
> EMail: almand@arrakis.es
Greetings, Jose!  I use about half "potting soil," which we buy in sacks
here and is a topsoil amended with manure and other compost, about a
quarter perlite, and about a quarter peat.  This sounds very precise,
but it isn't; I mix this in a wheelbarrow and sort of "eyeball" or guess
at the amount of each ingredient as I put it in.  This mix lets me grow
some big hostas in big pots.  I think you have everything you need.
Paz!		Irwin Johnson