Re: Hosta Seeds

venies.place wrote:

> The landscape company we use at work planted several Wide Brims this spring.
> They have flowered and now they have several green "pods" hanging from where
> the flowers were.  Are these seed pods?  If so, how and when can you
> cultivate them?  How do you store them?  When can you plant them?  Any and
> all suggestions are appreciated.

Sound like seed pods to me.  Wait until they have dried, then you can
pick them off.  I've heard hosta seed is best fresh but you can store it
in the refrigerator, or freezer, a film canister works well for storing.
To plant I just sprinkle them on top of a tray of whatever mix I have
available and seal in a plastic bag.  But I've only done seeds one time,
I'm sure some of the more experienced will have suggestions for you.
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net