Re: Hostas in the woods

RonnieEA@aol.com wrote:

> Have any of you had any experience with hostas planted in an oak woods, and
> receiving little, if any, direct sunlight.  I am planning to extend my hostas
> into the wooded area of my yard, and they would receive some "dappled"
> sunlight in the mornings, (very limited) and only diffused light in the
> afternoon.,
>
> About 8 years ago I planted a number of Hosta Plantagenia in an area that is
> similiar to this, and they have not done so well.  They have few and small
> leaves, they  have not produced any new divisions, and it is apparent to me
> that they do not 'enjoy' their current location..

Plantaginea is noted for preferring a sunny location so they probably
would not like their current location.  Give them some sun and I'll
be surprised if they don't improve quickly.
Most of mine are planted in areas without much direct sunlight and do
well.  Blues do well in shade as a rule, the sun tends to take
the bloom off the leaves.  Wish I could be more specific, but I'm
sure someone will.
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net