Hostas in the woods

Have any of you had any experience with hostas planted in an oak woods, and
receiving little, if any, direct sunlight.  I am planning to extend my hostas
into the wooded area of my yard, and they would receive some "dappled"
sunlight in the mornings, (very limited) and only diffused light in the

About 8 years ago I planted a number of Hosta Plantagenia in an area that is
similiar to this, and they have not done so well.  They have few and small
leaves, they  have not produced any new divisions, and it is apparent to me
that they do not 'enjoy' their current location..

So my question is, if I spend all this time grooming a trail through the woods
with hosta plantings along the way, will they grow well, or will my time be

If you've got some thoughts on the subject I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,  Ronnie