Re: Hostas in the woods

Yessir, gimme those woodland gardens, where all you do is dig a hole and
plop the plant in. (And then stand back so you won't be trampled by
ravening hoards of slugs).

Well, I sort of meant fertilizer, though not in the out-of-a-bag sense.
What I meant was anything in the way of organic matter I can get my hands
on, aged manure, compost, mulch, whatever. Every year I put all my tree
leaves through a shredder and pile those on (shredding makes them less
likely to blow into the neighbors yards and is generally more attractive,
too). I even drive up and down the streets of Oak Ridge collecting bagged
leaves from tidier folks.

In my younger, more foolish days I dug all this stuff in, even "double dug"
a bed once. That may be why I am reduced to the pile-it-on method I use
now. My Troy-Bilt sits languishing in the basement. God clearly isn't a
gardener, or He/She would have given us stronger backs...