Re: Tell-Tale TC

At 08:26 AM 6/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>   I am sure Joanne is right about the little sporting devils but there is
>another reason too. If there happen to be some different sports that have
>come out of the tissue culture  they may well  be worth saving. Remember
>where 'June' came from. And many others. I just separated some 'Cherry
>Berries' yesterday  which had what appears to be a very different sport
>included. In only 5 years it may be something! Or not. :-).
>Glen Williams

Of course that raises an interesting question..If my Great Expectations (or
whatever) throws an interesting sport and I remove it and grow it on and in
five years there's enough to share with others, should I give it it's own
name? Or is it forever "Sport of Great Expectations?"  Suppose I give a pup
to someone, and I've given it a whole new name, and then later their plant
throws a sport that is identical to the original Great Expectations? The
new owner, not knowing this, gives his/her sport a new name, and now we
have a plant that looks identical to GE but with a different name.

All this seems to lead to unbearable confusion..What is the convention with
hostas regarding naming of sports? seems that only new seed grown plants
should be given unique names..