Re: Tell-Tale TC

In a message dated 25/06/98 11:24:50 GMT, you write:

<< Of course that raises an interesting question..If my Great Expectations (or
 whatever) throws an interesting sport and I remove it and grow it on and in
 five years there's enough to share with others, should I give it it's own
 name? Or is it forever "Sport of Great Expectations?"  Suppose I give a pup
 to someone, and I've given it a whole new name, and then later their plant
 throws a sport that is identical to the original Great Expectations? The
 new owner, not knowing this, gives his/her sport a new name, and now we
 have a plant that looks identical to GE but with a different name.
 All this seems to lead to unbearable confusion..What is the convention with
 hostas regarding naming of sports? seems that only new seed grown plants
 should be given unique names..
 Gerry  >>

Many of the best named and registered hosta around today are in fact
sports/mutations. In fact 'Great Expectations' is itself a sport of
sieboldiana 'Elegans' found in a garden here in England.  When a sport is
found it can/should be removed from the mother plant and evaluated for a
number of years, to be sure it is stable and worthy of naming. If in time this
new sport throws up a division that is the same as the original mother plant ,
this division should be removed.

Glen UK