Jim's tree root entanglement

We also just dug up a bed of five year olds which should have been big
beauties by now, but were just so spindly and small!  And these are oak
trees, mind you.  Not reputed to be very invasive.  I beg to differ.  We
spend a good hour soaking these plants and pulling out string after string
of tree roots out of the plants.  We then put some new ones in, a beautiful
Komodo Dragon
Big Daddy
Janet (I would rather have had Paul's Glory, but didn't have an extra
laying around)
Blue Boy (6 yrs old, very big)

This is the experimental bed.  Experimental in the sense that we tried the
method of putting pots in the bed.  Big nursery pots, with
clay/compost/peat mixture, and pulled the crowns higher than the top of the
pot.  Then mulched so you couldn't see the pots, but away from the crown
(to avoid the all encompassing crown rot that we experienced this spring).
The plants are big and sturdy enough that I think that they will survive
okay, but if anybody thinks that this whole idea is bad, or something I
should do differently, let me know.  It's not like I am losing $100 plants
or anything, so I feel that I can afford to do this experiment. My main
fear with this experiment is that the pots will somehow affect how the
freeze/thaw cycle will be, in the months of dormancy.

Oh, and I am thinking about adding S&S to the background. For size and
putrescence. (That'll get y'all goin).  Seriously, this bed gets enough sun
that we thought that the color of S&S would be more golden, and that's more

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b